Friday, August 8, 2008

The Elisabeth Elliot Newsletter

A few years ago (or more) my husband and I had the privilege of leading worship for a conference in which Elisabeth Elliot spoke four times in one day. It was the first time she had spoken so many times in one day, she told us. But I will never forget it. She spoke on suffering, and told of her life in Ecuador before and after her husband, Jim Elliot, was murdered by the Auca indians. (The movie, The End of the Spear, tells the story.) I still have the notes and pull them out and review them.

She produced a newsletter for many years that I absolutely loved. I treasured every issue and even now they are in a safe place where I can pull them out and glean insight from this biblical, practical and sometimes opinionated woman of God. It was no secret that she loved hymns and hated the modern worship choruses of today. I have come to understand that perspective. She said the words of the hymns, rich in theology and God's character, were what carried her through the dark times in Ecuador.

I have made a wonderful discovery! All of Elisabeth Elliot's newsletters can be downloaded in pdf's from her Web site. I can't tell you have blessed I have been by her teaching, her books, her articles through the years. If she is a new acquaintance to you, let me introduce you! Elisabeth Elliot: www.elisabethelliot.org

1 comment:

angela said...

I hope you're still blogging. I know exactly what you mean. I have all of my pic. notes, books, etc. of Elisabeth's in a safe place.

Hey you may want to visit my site and see the interview I did with her daughter Valerie, and I even put update pictures up of Val, her adult children and her two grandchildren.

So glad to have found your site and I hope you're still blogging. I see the year of this post is 2008